Maybe it’s the turning of the season and the onset of fall, or maybe it’s just because it’s a regular, old, day–but, man, we’re just loving chocolate lately! We carry an incredible selection of chocolates here at Sweet River. Our favorites though? Chocolate from Abdallah. (Awhile back we posted a blog all about why we love Abdallah Chocolates and about the company. Check out the link if you’re curious.) Today though, we thought we’d post a little bit about chocolate–in general. We have a few pieces of trivia and a couple facts that we thought we’d pass along today. (Also, this is totally how we justify our current, chocolate, addiction :) It’s healthy and completely good for us.)
- Every second, Americans–all together–eat 100 pounds of chocolate. (We account for some of that :) )
- Chocolate can save lives! Really. Apparently, Milton Hershey almost went down with the Titanic; however, due to last minute, business matters, he couldn’t go.
- Speaking of chocolate saving lives–this has nothing to do with that. 22 lbs of chocolate is the lethal amount for a human–or, about 40 Hershey bars.
- Chocolate has an antibacterial effect on your mouth–plus, it can help protect against tooth decay. We have no idea how any of that happens but it’s not something we choose to think too hard about–just in case it’s not 100% true. We choose ignorance.
- M&M’s were inspired by soldiers during the Spanish Civil War. The idea was to make a chocolate candy that soldiers could conveniently enjoy, without it melting.
- It takes about 400 cacao beans to make one pound of chocolate. That’s a lot of beans.
- White chocolate isn’t actually, real, chocolate. It’s creamy, and delicious–but it contains no cocoa liquor or cocoa beans.
- Move over lavender; the smell of chocolate can actually help you relax by increasing theta brain waves. (And, it tastes way better than lavender. Not that we’ve ever, actually, tried it–we’re just going to guess on that one.)
- We’ve all heard about real, dark chocolate being good for you–but, do you know why? It’s loaded with antioxidants that can help lower blood pressure. It can also, if eaten regularly, help cut your risk of heart disease and diabetes. Dark chocolate has also been shown to boost reaction times, memory, attention span and problem-solving skills by increasing blood flow to the brain. It has also been suggested that dark chocolate can help you see better in low light situations. Again…we’re just going to enjoy this one and not think too hard about it :)
- Hershey’s makes over 80 million kisses per day.
- In one year, the world produces 3 million tons of cacao. (That sounds like a LOT, and it is; however, that’s less than half of the annual, coffee crop. Ironically, coffee and a chocolate donut are one of my favorite ways to start the day :) )
Do you have any tidbits to add to our chocolate knowledge? If so, we’d love to hear from you! In the meantime, if you’ve suddenly found yourself craving a bite of chocolate stop on in–we can help with that :)